- Open Terminal.
- Type the following:
sudo passwd root
- Enter your administrator password.
- Enter a new password for your root account.
This can also be done through an OS X utility called Directory Utility:
- Open Directory Utility, which can be found in the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder.
- Click the lock and enter your administrator password.
- In the Edit menu, choose "Enable Root User".
- In the Edit menu you can also give the root account a new password by choosing "Change Root Password".